In this article, we review Seafoam’s Fuel Injector Cleaner
What Seafoam does
Over time, a film develops on internal engine components, comprising of combustion by-products. These build-ups can be made up of carbon, oil or other contaminants and eventually can cause internal vents and breathers to become clogged and engine performance to drop.
Left unchecked, these could lead to a severe reduction in the lifespan of an engine, especially one used for short, start-stop journeys.
To remove these deposits, in the past, you would need to dismantle engine components and manually clean them down. This is a difficult job and requires some serious mechanical knowledge.
Alternatively, you can use a product like Seafoam Fuel Injector Cleaner to clean the internal components, simply by adding the solution straight into your fuel tank. What could be easier?
Benefits of using Seafoam Fuel Injector
- Cleans oil, carbon, soot and other combustion by-products that build upon injector nozzles
- Helps to restore engine power
- Dissolves deposits of contamination from oil crankcases
- Helps to restore flow in engine passageways
- Stabilizes diesel fuel
- Adds lubricity to diesel fuel, preserving engine components
- Made from petroleum-based ingredients, with no aggressive chemicals or detergents, therefore, there’s no chance it can harm a motor
- It’s not possible to add “too” much. The more you add, the more effective the product is
- Use once or twice per year, or whenever the fuel filter is replaced during servicing
- Controls moisture and corrosion
- Works as a de-icer and anti-gelling agent
About Seafoam Fuel Injector Cleaner
Seafoam the company was founded way back in the 1930’s, producing a fuel additive that prevents fuel gumming in outboard marine motors. Since then, they have gone on to focus on automotive applications, developing a range of injector cleaning products.
Why are we telling you this? When adding chemicals to your engine, whether through the fuel supply or directly into the air intake, you want to work with a company you can trust. Seafoam is established and well known, therefore, they are trustworthy.
How to use
Seafoam is unique in that it is so flexible. It can be used in gasoline engines, by purchasing the spray can and squirting it directly into the air intake. In liquid form, It can also be added to the fuel tank. It can also be used in crankcases.
- Take the vehicle on a run and get the engine up to working temperature, then shut off, this will soften any deposits in the engine
- Remove the fuel filter, draining off the fuel. It is always advisable to replace the fuel filter at this stage, they are not expensive and will save your engine from burning contaminated fuel!
- When re-installing filter, fill the housing with concentrate Sea Foam Motor Treatment, making sure there is no air in the system that would need to be bled
- Start the engine and run it for two whole minutes. Switch off the engine again
- Wait 15 minutes for the Sea Foam to break down stubborn carbon buildups
- Once 15 minutes has elapsed, restart the engine and take the car or truck for a 30-mile run. Perform what is called in the trade, as “Italian tune-up”!Drive it hard and fast, this generates more heat and internal pressures that clean the engine more effectively!
This video demonstrates the process of adding Seafoam into your fuel tank and is produced by the company.
Sea Foam is a versatile and cost-effective product. The company is a trusted brand and has over 70 years trading under their belt. We recommend this product for its ease of use and the results we’ve found from long-term use. Fuel efficiency gains and a longer engine lifespan await. Try it, you won’t regret it!